Sponsoring your partner

Partner Migration Visa 820
(Photo: Department of Home Affairs website)
Date last modified: 07 July 2021

The following information is intended for Australian and New Zealand citizens applying to sponsor their partner for a permanent visa.

Before applying

Before sponsoring your partner you should read the partner visa information on the Home Affairs website to help with the application.

Sponsoring your partner

You can sponsor your spouse, de facto or same-sex partner for a permanent visa if you are either an:

Applicants must have a valid passport when applying for any visa, or citizenship. If you renew your passport or change your address while the visa is being processed, notify Home Affairs.

Partner Migration visas are usually processed in two stages:

  • initially, your partner will be granted a temporary visa, subclass 820
  • after 18 months to two years they will be granted a permanent visa, subclass 801

Regardless of whether you are married or in a de facto relationship you will be required to provide evidence of your relationship, such as:

  • joint bank account(s)
  • shared property ie a lease agreement, mortgage or car loan
  • children’s birth certificates
  • photos of you with your partner and extended families over a period of time

You will need to include certified copies of your supporting documents, such as birth certificates and passport photo pages, with your application. Do not send original documents.

Including your children

Children must be aged under 23 to be included on a Partner Migration Visa application. Children aged 18 to 23 must be in full time study, or unable to work due to a disability, and financially dependent upon the sponsoring parent. There can also be no more than six months between leaving school and commencing full time study.

Find out more about Including dependent children in your application.


The Partner Migration Visa fee is $7,850. Note: you pay for the temporary and the permanent visa at the same time.

Dependent children included on a Partner Migration Visa application are $3,930 each for child aged 18 and over, and $1,965 each for child under 18.

Arranging a health examination

Health examination results are valid for 12 months, Home Affairs will contact you to request a health examination.

Use the eMedical system to process your health examination online. The current migration medical services provider is Bupa Medical Visa Service.

Requesting your criminal conviction history

You will need to obtain your New Zealand criminal records if you or your partner were aged over 18 when you came to Australia. Use the form Requesting your own criminal conviction history from outside NZ.

Tick the box for a full Criminal Record. On the form it says you shouldn’t give the form to a third party but it’s ok to give Home Affairs a certified copy. Requesting your records is free and it remains valid for six months. It should take 1-3 months to be processed and sent to you.

Apply online

Applications should be made online using your ImmiAccount. Paper applications attract an additional $80 non-internet application fee. You should be in Australia when you apply for this visa.

Supporting documents

Sponsors and applicants are required to submit a number of documents including identity documents, proof of relationship, character assessments and police certificates. Refer to Step 2 Gather your documents for details.

Processing time

The Temporary Partner visa (820) takes 21 to 28 months, and the Permanent Partner visa (801) takes 19 to 25 months to be processed.


For more information refer to Partner Visa and including dependent childrenon the Department of Home Affairs website.

New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship Visa (461), a temporary visa valid for five years.

Have a question?

Phone the Department of Home Affairs on 13 18 81 or contact them via social media. Please do not provide your personal details on a public forum.


Oz Kiwi is run by volunteers and entirely funded by public donations. Please consider donating to help Oz Kiwi lobby on behalf of New Zealanders living in Australia.

Thank you for your support.


The above “Sponsoring your Partner” information should not be relied on as an alternative to advice from the Department of Home Affairs, or a professional immigration services provider.

If you have any specific questions about an immigration matter, you should consult the Department of Home Affairs or a professional immigration services provider.

Comments are closed.