Citizenship Bill online survey results
18 May 2018
The Legal and Constitutional Affairs Legislation Committee is inquiring into the Australian Citizenship Legislation Amendment (Strengthening the Commitments for Australian Citizenship and Other Measures) Bill 2018. In addition to accepting substantive submissions to this inquiry, the Committee developed an online survey to allow members of the public to express their view on the bill. The survey closed at 5 pm 27 April 2018 AEST.
The Committee has resolved to publish the results of the survey, which are as follows:
- Total number of responses - 140,646
- Does not support the bill - 126,322 (89.81%)
- Support for the bill - 14,324 (10.19%)
The Committee also agreed to publish correspondence from Senator Hanson to the Committee about the survey, alongside the Committee's response:
- Letter from Senator Hanson to the Senate Committee
- Response by the Senate Committee to Senator Hanson
Source: Legal and Constitutional Affairs Legislation Committee inquiry online survey.