Are you an Australian PR travelling overseas?​

RRV travel facility

(Photo: Public Domain)

19 December 2017

The Department of Home Affairs (DHA), formerly the Department of Immigration & Border Protection, is urging people with permanent residency visa to check their travel facility expiry.

Please allow 4 to 71 days for processing if renewing your RRV. You may require a penal clearance.

By Mosiqi Acharya – SBS

The Department of Home Affairs (DHA) is urging people with permanent residency visa to check their travel facility expiry.

The Department has said, “If you’re a permanent resident planning to travel outside Australia these holidays, be sure to check your travel facility expiry before you go. An Australian permanent resident visa allows you to live in Australia indefinitely, however the travel facility of your visa will only last for a specified period.”

“You will need a Resident Return Visa (RRV) if the travel facility on your permanent visa has expired or is about to expire and you wish to travel overseas and retain your Australian permanent resident status.”

The website states checking one’s travel facility on the visa is easy. Visit the website or download the myVevo application through the app store.

“You can apply for an RRV in Australia before you leave, or while you are outside Australia. Leaving it until the last minute will result in difficulties checking-in at the airport when trying to re-enter Australia,” the website states.

Applying for an RRV is simple. One can apply online, without providing any documents, if:

  • you are a permanent resident
  • you have lived in Australia for a total of at least two years within the last five years
  • your name and date of birth have not changed since grant of your last visa.

DHA warns departing Australia without an RRV may affect your permanent residence requirements for citizenship.

[Read the SBS article].

Comments are closed.