Date last modified: 12 November 2018
Update: citizenship fee increases confirmed
19 December 2015
The Department of Home Affairs are currently reviewing all citizenship fees. Further fee increases may follow later in 2016, if you are eligible for citizenship you should apply before 1 January 2016.
Citizenship fee changes – as of 1 January 2016:
- Adults (18-59 year olds) currently $260, increasing to $285
- Children (aged under 18) currently $130, increasing to $180
- Those aged 60+ currently $130, increasing to $180
- Evidence of Australian citizenship, ie to apply for Australian born child’s citizenship after their 10th birthday, $60 increasing to $190
- Citizenship by descent currently $120, increasing to $230.
You should create an ImmiAccount to apply online and avoid the $80 non-internet fee; unless you are a Protected Special Category Visa holder. Protected SCVs cannot apply online as they do not have a visa number.
Start the process now
Start the process by submitting your application, then supply your supporting documents e.g. NZ penal clearance as you receive them. By applying before 1 January you’ll pay the current fee of $260.
No convictions are ‘spent’ when applying for any visa or citizenship – you must declare ALL criminal convictions. Failure to declare a conviction, regardless of how minor or historical, will see your application declined.
For more information refer to under applying for citizenship on the Department of Home Affairs website.